Monday 7 October 2013

Inspiration for my kitchen

I've found Pinterest a wonderful source of inspiration for my doll house.  I love these images from the Cats, Dogs and Eiderdowns blog of the Imperial War Museum - this is exactly the kind of look I want to achieve in my kitchen.






I love that the floor tiles look old and grimy - mine are far too clean at the minute so I'm going to try and make them look more 'lived in'.  Not sure how I'm going to do it yet and I don't want to ruin them either so if anyone has any tips - please get in touch! I also want a drop-leaf kitchen cabinet similar to the one in the photograph to store my kitchenware.  Jane Harrop does a great tutorial for one in her book 'Thirties and Forties Miniatures in 1/12th Scale' but she also sells the kits on her website so I think I might buy one instead.  At least then all I would have to do would be to glue it together and paint it! A basket like this one would also look great in my kitchen along with a miniature ration book and full of groceries.  The photograph below is not one of my own but was another one I found on Pinterest. This is the 1930s/1940s kitchen on display at York Castle Museum.  We visited the museum a few years ago and it is well worth going.  This was part of an exhibit about British kitchens through the ages - there was a Tudor kitchen, an Edwardian cottage kitchen, this kitchen and a 1980s kitchen.  The installations are amazing, it's just a shame you can't get in the kitchens to have a good nose around and pretend you're part of a period drama!  Or maybe that's just me :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment